For the dough
2 cups maseca (corn flour)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups warm water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
8 oz plant based cheese
For the veggies
1 large green bell pepper
1 red onion
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. olive oil
For the Mind Blown™ Dusted Shrimp
1 box Mind Blown™ Dusted Shrimp
1/2 C Salsa of choice
1/2 C refried black beans
For the Gorditas:
1) Combine the maseca, flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and mix well. Slowly add the warm water and mix together until combined. *use your hands to mix and fold together.
2) The dough should make about 8 pieces. Roll into balls, flatten, and then form a pocket to stuff with the plant-based cheese. We used Good Planet Foods Hot Popper Plant Based Slices.
3) Seal to form a ball.
4) Flatten out the balls to 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick discs. Do not make them too thick or they will absorb too much oil and won't puff up.
5) Fry the gorditas in high-heat oil (325 degrees fahrenheit) for about 1 minute on each side, or until golden brown. It should puff up, creating a pocket in the center- if it doesn't, your gordita is too thick.
6) Carefully cut into the gorditas while they are still hot, a little less than half way around; set aside until ready to stuff!
For the veggies:
1) Slice the bell pepper and onion. Place in a bowl and coat with spices and olive oil.
2) Saute in a cast iron skillet for 5-8 minutes until veggies are tender.
3) Remove from the skillet and place on a cutting board. Chop the veggies until bite size pieces; set aside until ready to stuff the Gorditas.
For the Mind Blown™ Dusted Shrimp:
1) From frozen, place the Mind Blown™ Dusted Shrimp to the same skillet as the veggies (once removed) and cook on each side 1-2 minutes, until cooked through.
2) Remove from the skillet and placed in a mixing bowl with the salsa. Toss to combine.
Assemble the Gorditas:
1) Carefully stuff with heated refried black beans, chopped veggie mixture, lettuce, avocado, and hot sauce. Enjoy!
*Recipe inspo via Stella n' Spice blog